Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hand Painted Wedding Cake

My Grandmother, Mother, and my brother were all painters, my brother loved illustrating, but I've never had the desire to put pen, pencil, or paintbrush to paper or any other medium until I stumbled upon Three Little Black Birds Bakery.  Then, she was featured on Craftsy's website with a hand painted cake tutorial, and I was hooked.  After watching the class and mixing lustre dust colors with airbrush sugar colors, I gave it a shot on the Lion King Cake.  Tedious, yes, intricate, definitely, right up my alley for sure.

Just the thought of transferring the patterns and illustrations in my head to a cake was fascinating.  Now, I am obsessed.

 
































I found the perfect opportunity with Melissa's cake.  A simple, small cutting cake for the bride and groom, turned into a hand painted project that consumed me for several hours, OK I admit it, a couple of  days.
The groom, Kenneth sent me his original outline of the couples' faces. A graphic designer, he had created this design himself for their wedding invitations. The open rosette design is a Frank Lloyd Wright design that I used to mimic the bride's gown, which featured an open rosette pattern on the skirt.  Painted with a silver, champagne, and white-on-white pattern, I covered three sides with the pattern.  A ruffled border and silver  finished the simple, elegant design, which is one of my favorites. Modern, retro and classic.


The cake pop stand, created by my wonderful husband, who puts up with way more than he should from me and my hair brainded ideas, was spectacular.  I love it! 120 cake pops, half were dark chocolate with peanut butter butter cream, and the other half were lemon with lemon curd and lemon butter cream.  Sparkly, elegant and smelled absolutely heavenly.  Thanks Melissa, for making me a special part of your day, we've been talking about it for so long, and today, you lived it!!  Hope you have a blast in Hawaii!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment