Sunday, October 26, 2014

Custom Cakes+ Life Lessons Learned

Can you learn "Life Lessons" from baking?  I have come to believe that every single thing we do, with passion, has an underlying lesson, or message for us.  And, the sooner we learn it, the sooner we can move on to the next lesson,  using what we've learned.
I LOVE decorating and baking cakes and desserts, but making the same cake over and over has never been my idea of ...well fun.  So, I try to design a new cake for every client, and this means that every cake is a new challenge, a new adventure, and a new opportunity to learn a lesson.
Sometimes this lesson is just, well, a CAKE lesson.  A particular technique, method, or something I've been wanting to try.  Sometimes the lesson comes as a new "challenging client", patience through the process, listening to someone's difficult situation, or maybe the story of the loved one that they are honoring with a celebration.
I think this is my favorite, seeing the other person's love and caring for someone and wanting to honor them with a cake or dessert that just "thrills" them, and makes them feel so special.
But sometimes, the lesson is private.  Learning my limitations, mostly physical.  Learning not to be surprised when something turns out great, I am deserving. Learning to be grateful, even when I am beyond exhausted.

BIG RED FIRE ENGINE -

Lessons learned....strategy is important, once you cut the supporting structure a certain size, there's no going back.  When you think things are simple, they might take longer than you think, so be prepared.  And, it's  NOT ABOUT ME.    I had become very used to my clients ranting and raving over their cake when I deliver right before the party, but in this case, no ranting, no raving, just a lot of busy people preparing for a very large party, for a very blessed little boy.
In other words, a gift which is given in true love is given with no anticipation of reward, gratitude or recognition.  This was a large, tall, heavy, time consuming cake, and I actually want to make another one, just to see if I can do better.



No comments:

Post a Comment